Filed under: Uncategorized
Posted Sunday, December 12 2010 at 14:41
Guinea’s interim government has announced that it has lifted the state of emergency and reopened its land and sea borders. The decision was announced in a statement read on the country’s national television on Saturday. Radio Télévision Guinéene said the statement was signed by the transition Prime Minister Jean-Marie Doré. His government reportedly took the decision after the rapid return to calm and peace in the country following electoral riots that left several dead.
Since the declaration of the final election results by the country’s Constitutional Council on December 2, 2010, the looser of the polls Cellou Dalien Diallo instantly accepted defeat. That move helped considerably in calming the tension and suspicion among the rival supporters of the two run off candidates who had clashed several times leading to the declaration of the state of emergency and the closing of land and sea routes leading into the country.
The statement also noted that the decision to lift the state of emergency and reopen the land and sea routes was further encouraged by the lifting of sanctions on the country by the international community. Both the African Union (AU) and the West Africa regional bloc (Ecowas) on Wednesday lifted the diplomatic and economic sanctions imposed on Guinea in the aftermaths of the killing of pro-democracy protestors on 28 September 2009 in the capital, Conakry. The two institutions said they were lifting the embargoes because of the rapid return to calm in the country. The institutions congratulated the Guinean people for the courage they displayed during the match to democracy.
The newly elected president Alpha Condé dedicated his victory to the people of Guinea and pledged to form a government of national unity by including in it, all of the political groups as well as the civil society. The President-elect is expected to be sworn in by the end of this month.
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment